Thursday, October 6, 2011

SNACK FOOD: PEKO POKO CHOCOLATE POP


I am probably not the best person to discuss Japanese food, as I am the least Japanese person you will find. I enjoy many kinds of food, my favourite being Thai food, but I had never really experienced the world of japanese snack food until now.

To be completely honest, it was really hard to actually find Japanese snack food in Australia. But I didn't give up, because it seemed silly to discuss a food without actually eating and experiencing it!

So first up on my list was these cute little things:

Inside the packet - super cute!










These are called "Peko Poko Chocolate Pop" and they are made by a company called "Fujiya". They were too cute to resist plus it was only $1.10 Not only are they lollipops, but they are made out of chocolate. They smelt quite strange though. Much sweeter than chocolate should smell. It's kinda like the chocolate money smell, but it was still very tantalising. There are also 2 in a packet meaning more for me…or sharing with a friend.

My favourite part about these were the surprise flavour of the pink chocolate. It was strawberry flavoured and I loved it. The white chocolate was obviously white chocolate flavour, but it was still a good combo of flavours. The whole thing was super sweet and wasn't the same sort of 'traditional' chocolate flavour you would find in Australia. It tasted much more like a lolly than a chocolate. The texture was the same as normal chocolate, yet less creamy. 


Outside the packet - still super cute!



Overall I really enjoyed this snack. It looked adorable, there was plenty to go around, they tasted pretty great, though very sweet, and they were pretty cheap too! I do recommend these for those who like chocolate, have a super sweet tooth and love cuteness. I'm gonna give it a 4.5/5. The only reason it lost half a mark was due to the fact that it wasn't super satisfying in terms of hunger. You could not just eat this as a snack by itself. You would have to pair it with some chips or biscuits, or something a bit more substantial. 

I bought this from an Asian grocery store in Castle Hill, NSW called Madam Hoo's in the Castle Towers Shopping Centre. This place did not stock a whole heap of Japanese Snacks, but had the most out of all the places I went. Thats all for now on these cute-pops!


SAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment